Monday, September 10, 2018

Words to Live By.. lead

"Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long." Psalm 25.5 (ESV)   
Our new pup, Marshmallow, is teaching me much about what it means to lead.

Nearly every morning, I fasten on her leash, invite her on my morning walk, then fly along as she propels me along the path of her choosing.  There's no way she could plan for the best route, fathom the potential hazards, or supply the requisite water to prevent overheating, so it's important that I lead. And after the first mile or so, I do! 

But until she gets tired, I am not leading like I'm supposed to, in spite of my diligent digestion of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Puppy Training!

Sometimes I skid to a stop, bend down to look in her eyes, and between gasps for breath, say, "Now, Marshmallow, I am the one who is supposed to be leading you instead of you pulling me. I promise our time together will be much more pleasant that way." 

I can't help but wonder how God feels about my walk with Him. There's no doubt my path is more pleasant when I allow Him to lead--not just when I get tired or upset, but every step of the way. After all, He knows the best route, how to avoid potential hazards, and what will supply the rest and refreshment I need to keep going. 

This week as we activate the word LEAD in our lives, I want to make sure I follow the Leader who knows the best way.

Blessings,

Dalene Parker, guest blogger

Words to Live By:  One Word a Week

No comments:

Post a Comment