Friday, January 30, 2015

the gift of surprise

"...do good, be rich in good deeds, and be generous and willing to share." 1 Timothy 6:18

I heard him charging up the steps and immediately suspected something was wrong.

"Mom, guess what i found in my room?"

This "find" from my 24 year old son, sent my imagination on a wild journey.  All kinds of images swirled in my head... disintegrated food, lost driver's license, an old picture, a missing Redbox DVD, and items i'm too embarrassed to mention.  He handed me a wad of tissue paper. Slowly i peeled back the layers to find a surprising treasure.

"It's a Christmas gift i got for you and then forgot," he confessed.

The belated, unexpected gift was perfect.  Still bothered over losing my cherished bracelet from my Mother 2 months ago, this gift was special and comforting to me on many levels.  The gift reminded me i still have a lot to be thankful for, like a caring family.  Gifts of love are wonderful during the bustle of CHRISTmas, but are needed reminders later, as sadness can seep into our quiet, normal days.

Lord, stir in me the need to continuously and actively gift others with love.  Whether a card, phone call, hug, present, word of encouragement or smile, it might unexpectedly fill an emptiness in their heart. You know the needs, and the perfect timing.  May this bracelet remind me it's never too late to give.

friend, we are loved and chosen by God,
veneal

1 comment:

  1. It's never too late to receive Gods Grace and Love. Peace be with you this day and forevermore.

    ReplyDelete