Friday, April 19, 2024

checkup woes

"For everything there is a season,

a time for every activity under heaven.

A time to be born and a time to die.

A time to plant and a time to harvest.

A time to kill and a time to heal.

A time to tear down and a time to build up.

A time to cry and a time to laugh.

A time to grieve and a time to dance.

A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.

A time to embrace and a time to turn away.

A time to search and a time to quit searching.

A time to keep and a time to throw away.

A time to tear and a time to mend.

A time to be quiet and a time to speak.

A time to love and a time to hate.

A time for war and a time for peace." Ecclesiastes 3:1-8


For the past 6 months, i've been frustrated with my health checkups.  With weight gain on each visit, i was determined to stop it by changing my diet.  Feeling healthier, i was excited about my doctor's visit.  But it was not what I expected.

With a 3-pound increase, i was NOT pleased.  The nurse tried to assure me it was fine...

"You know, when you wear pants, it adds about 3 pounds."
"Well, I wear pants every time i come here."

"And exercising causes you to firm up and muscle weight is heavier."
"I am not exercising."

"Our scales are about 3-4 pounds more than most."
"I only weigh here... on your scales."


I kinda felt sorry for her; she struggled to find an answer for me, but the scales didn't lie. There was no hiding it, and i had one choice.  Accept the growing change, forget trying to reduce my weight and go grab an ice cream sundae afterwards to embrace my newfound freedom in eating.  Evidently, i was destined to gain weight no matter what i ate.

Many changes in life do not come easily or with smiles.  As the Bible reminds us, there is a season for all things... sometimes the change comes with JOY and sometimes with woe, sometimes with a sweet surprise and sometimes with a heavy heart.  Whatever the case, may we find peace in the fact, we are right where, and how, we should be.


Here's to a triple scoop of ice cream and a shout out to God for loving and guiding us in all seasons.

we are loved and chosen by God,
may we live, love and do like we believe it,
veneal

No comments:

Post a Comment