Wednesday, November 8, 2017

I've a story to share...

"Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 106:1
With so much happening, an important anniversary in my life nearly slipped by unnoticed.  Six years ago yesterday, i was diagnosed with a brain tumor. As God would have it, a friend reminded me of the impact my ordeal had on her. I cried as i remembered, recounting the faithfulness of a God, we sometimes dismiss as distant, uncaring or slack in answering our needs.  I cried knowing He has saved me not just once (on the cross) but numerous times.  I cried realizing God's ability to use all things to the good, whether for us, for friends and family, for complete strangers or for His glory.  Of all the people i want to honor, God is most deserving for the top spot in my heart.

For those who don't know my story, here a recap.

As God would have it, while walking my dogs, i took a nasty fall.  A trip to the emergency room confirmed i had a concussion, but also revealed i had a rare brain tumor.  As God would have it, the physicians at both local hospitals admitted they were not the best choice for treatment. As God would have it, the local neurosurgeon mentioned a neurosurgeon in our state, Dr. Vandergrift, was best qualified for cases like mine. As God would have it, after being whisked to MUSC in Charleston for emergency surgery, He placed me in the capable hands of none-other than, Dr. Vandergrift, a godly, humble man. Dr. V. led a talented team through 3 critical surgeries on me during the next two weeks. As God would have it, one of my nurses was a former member of my home church.  As God would have it, i returned home just in time to celebrate Thanksgiving and in time healed enough to return to work. As God would have it, i have not suffered from any long-term side effects and i am truly a living miracle. My story could have ended differently and that would have been okay.  But as God would have it, He is not finished with me yet... i have a story of wonder and thankfulness, a story to share, a story to remind others His faithfulness is up-close and personal to all!

I don't remember all the details from 6 years ago, but i do remember some significant points.  Things like, the unending comfort and support of loved ones by my side.  The surprising visit of a cousin and friend's son, triggering an awareness i might die. A surgeon discussing in length the seriousness and risk of my condition and surgery. But what i recall most vividly is the complete inner peace. "Peace at a time like that?" you might ask.  Yes -- very strange because i love and cherish my family and friends tremendously.  During these days of questionable health, i couldn't grasp how i felt so peaceful. Having no panic or fear of my outcome, i was prepared to accept whatever fate God deemed right.  There can only be one answer for such indescribable peace... i was witnessing and living God's love, mercy and grace, up close and personal.  It's a peace that can only be contributed to a relationship, dependence and faith in God.   

So, it's a busy week of remembering for me; and oh! what a perfect prelude for our Thanksgiving season. As God would have it, we all have an abundance to be thankful for daily. 
Thank You, God, for miracles everyday... large and small.

What's your story?  Someone needs to hear it.  Spread the Good News! And celebrate the moments, because actually that is all we have... and that is okay.

friend, we are love and chosen by God,
Thank Him today,
veneal

No comments:

Post a Comment