Friday, June 12, 2020

Blisters, by Lydia

Writing and sharing God's Word has been my passion for 20 years. It is my greatest desire to help others see and know God is working in their lives through ordinary events. He doesn't talk to a select few, and it's not always about parting a sea, He talks to all His children and sometimes it's during a routine day. When I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in November 2011, I was "out-of-order" for several weeks and unable to write any Salt Shakers devotions. My daughter, Anna, and some co-workers from school stepped in and kept the Salt Shakers going, writing beautiful devotions. It was my reminder we are all replaceable and we are all needed by our Father.
This week I heard of another special Salt Shaker writer. My neighbor, Lydia Johnston, told me her 12 year-old granddaughter subscribed (on her own) to my Salt Shakers devotions several months ago. While at the beach this week, her Lydia wrote her own devotion. I was so touched; and I share it with you now, as a reminder to listen. God is speaking to you, and His message through you has the power to change lives and the world.
EnJOY Lydia's devotion. And i would love to hear and share from some other Salt Shakers too!
Blessings, friends. We are loved and chosen by God, may we live like we believe it, veneal
"Blisters"
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” -Jeremiah 29:11 
This week I have been at the beach! Yesterday, I went to the beach, put on my sunscreen, waited a few minutes and ran to the ocean with my boogie board! It was tons of fun, I got to meet two of my second cousins! Then we left (my immediate family, and me) and headed over to my first cousins house. My mom and step dad dropped my brother and I off, and left. 
When I got there I applied my sunscreen, then we drove to the river for a boat ride. So, I waited before getting wet. We had a lot of fun on the boat ride, we saw two bucks on someone’s dock! Then we headed back to their house. 
We arrived back at their house and applied sunscreen, then raced over to the pool and jumped in! (I did not wait for my sunscreen to dry) We were at the pool for about two hours, and man did I get sunburned. That night I applied lots of moisturizer, hoping the redness would go down. 
This morning, I woke up and saw that it wasn’t nearly as red. That was great, I thought to myself. Then later when I started washing my face, I saw what looked like a clump of moisturizer, then I tried to rub it in, but realized that it hurt. Moisturizer doesn’t hurt, I asked my mom and she said it was a blister! On my FACE!!! Ahhhhh! Not just one, but two, it was terrible. Now I am sitting on the sofa writing this devotion with ice on my face, and if that wasn’t bad enough when I go on the beach I have to wear a hat, how is the hat going to stay on when I’m boogie boarding? 

I did learn a valuable lesson, wait after you apply sunscreen. Before this happened, I didn’t realize the importance of it, but because this happened I know to wait before I get wet. The water will just wash off all the sunscreen you just put on. Learn from my mistake, it is not fun to have a sunburn or blisters. Just wait, it will be worth it. If I had not gotten these blisters I would have never learned this lesson. This is God’s plan, and things happen for reasons. 

Dear God, I have faced a lesson and saw it as a punishment, Help me see these situations as lessons, and help me learn from them. Amen. 
written in love by,
Lydia Morton
Columbia, SC

No comments:

Post a Comment