Thursday, June 18, 2020

things i've learned this summer



             
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6






I am not a fan of snakes, but this summer has been an eye opener for me and even caused a change of heart. After encountering 4 snakes, eye-to-eye, i now see them differently and have a new appreciation for them. 

The first snake i saw was a "harmless" black snake in my backyard, but it was not welcomed by me.  I wanted him tossed over the fence, far and fast.  Next, a little brown snake wiggled up from under a pot, scaring my aunt and me. It met with a shovel out of our fear... and ignorance. The deadly copperhead was only inches from getting into my house, and was stopped by our cat and a timely appearance by my husband. Snake 4, a king snake, was at the tip of my toe while on a walk, but unfortunately he had already expired.  Out of the 4 snakes i met, 3 are actually beneficial, and good to have around. 

So here's the uncurling of my snake education.   There are many more nonpoisonous snakes than poisonous ones.  The coloring can be misleading in identifying dangerous snakes.  A better indication is looking at their eyes.  Poisonous snakes have  elliptical eyes, not round, but who wants to get that close?!  A better test is head shape, and remember the saying, "BIG HEAD... YOU'RE DEAD!"

Father, i think similar guidelines can apply to about any group of animals or people.  Not all are bad, and not all are good.  But i do believe there are far more good animals/people than bad. When we haven't gotten close enough to examine or know another, keep us from being judgmental.  Continuous learning is necessary and helpful. Please lead and direct our paths to not harm the innocent through fear or anger, and help us to find ways and methods to better assist those who could pose a threat.  As Your children, surely, we can be wiser and kinder, and possibly make a difference for the better.  Lead us, Father, in Your Ways.

we are loved and chosen by God,
may we live like we believe it,
veneal

No comments:

Post a Comment