Thursday, January 14, 2021

picking up twigs

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right Hand." Isaiah 41:10

Walking in my neighborhood i slowed down as i approached a home that caught on fire this week.  The smell and sight of the massive destruction was gut wrenching.  In the yard the homeowner and her parents where quietly raking and picking up twigs in the yard.  I stopped to share my concerns for them. Their choice of activity seemed unusual considering their home loss.  I felt maybe their energy could be more productive if channeled elsewhere. But as we continued to talk, what doubt and confusion i possessed dissipated. Linda made a comment that clearly made sense and spoke to my heart.  "I know it seems trivial to be picking up twigs," she remarked, "but we can't go in the house now, and just picking up these twigs makes me feel like i am doing something that helps."

Wow... her attitude, calmness and focus left me in tears.  How often have i faced difficult or traumatic events that left me frozen in my tracks?  Frozen in fear, sadness, pain or a sense of hopelessness?  What's important is not the magnitude of what we do, but the effort in moving forward.  Even the slightest undertaking in a productive direction lays a plank in helping to bridge over to the next step.  Each step aids in adjusting and overcoming a situation while assisting in the growth of hope and belief that this time will pass. And in time we can look back with a grateful heart, seeing how God's mighty Hand carried us through the trial.  

Father, may i remember You always have my back and hand, and my faith is shown in how i move forward. Little steps at a time are sufficient in exhibiting our trust in You.

What do you do when disaster strikes? I pray you don't freeze and panic.  May the building of your faith one twig at a time be your foundation in growing your peace and dependence on Him.

we are loved and chosen by God,

may we live like we believe it,

veneal 

No comments:

Post a Comment