Friday, January 17, 2014

will you accept this assignment?

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2

My eagerness to start a new Bible study class hit a stag. In light of a new year, we were encouraged to pick a personal year verse. Given a few minutes to respond, a verse didn't pop in my head, but a cold sweat did.

How could i choose one so quickly? There are so many i constantly lean on... encourage each other daily, be still and know i am God, let your gentleness be evident to all, consider others better than yourself, do everything without complaining or arguing.  As i heard others claiming their verse, i thought -- oh, i like that verse!  i should pick that one! why didn't i think of that!

Time ticking, pages flipping, heart fluttering.... then, finally -- STOP.  My eyes firmly latched on a verse... my verse.  The more i read it, the more i realized it was the verse for me. 


Life is not easy or perfect for any one, including  believers.  I've dealt with some struggles recently, and have felt a little short on the faith marker... disappointed in my response to trails and situations.  In an imperfect world with imperfect people there are always problems and issues.  Sometimes i think it's even more difficult as a believer because we feel others expect more from us.  More patience, more understanding, more grace, more acceptance... more, more, more. And in not delivering the more, we might feel less of a believer.

But my verse reminds me to find joy in the trials... be positive.... because through these times we will grow -- grow in our relationship with God, who will never forsake us; and therefore, in our faith.  Each trial we face has the opportunity  to show, to strengthen, to affirm God's Mighty Hand and Presence in our life.  And this continuous, faithfulness of our God... trial, after trial, after trial... merits a song of praise to our Awesome God.

So, there you go. That's my verse for the year.  I am expecting a wonderful year filled with joy and trials, and i am ready for each one.  No matter what happens this year, i am confident my faith will grow and persevere because i am believing and claiming His Word, James 1:2, for me. I am going to place the verse in my kitchen, at my desk, in my car, and around my mind.

Are you up for an assignment?  What verse will you claim for yourself this year?  I'd love to hear your choice.  With over 31,100 verses to choose one, i'm sure you'll find the perfect one.

have a doing-filled day! 
veneal

No comments:

Post a Comment