Monday, January 7, 2013

mine, mine, MINE

"But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1

That is MY game! Where is MY cookie? I want MY own phone!
Possessiveness -- normally viewed as a negative and selfish act.  We are taught to share and not hold on to anything too much.  But some things just can't be helped.

Working in an school for over tens years, i've witnessed much possessiveness, and i'm not denoting with only students. I can't ever recall hearing a teacher refer to the students in her room as "these" students.  It's always MY students, My class, My kids, My "Susie". The teacher claims them for her/his own. Fussing, loving, praising, challenging... they carefully tucks a piece of her/himself into each child, as she/he guides them in book and life lessons. Before the Sandy Hook tragedy, i hadn't thought of it much, but the teacher-student relationship closely mimics parent-child relationships, including the protection instinct.  

Father, thank You for allowing me to serve You in a school environment.  I am honored and touched to work side-by-side with some of your most precious children -- my peers and my little friends.  May Your love flow freely through me to them every day.

have a thank-filled day!
veneal 

No comments:

Post a Comment