Monday, October 21, 2013

not what i expected


"Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs... His faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:1-2,5

How are you with surprises?  Sunday was a gorgeous day filled with church, sunshine, family and water.  But, it wasn't all to my liking. As i cleaned the kitchen, yelling from the basement below stopped me.  The kitchen sink pipe burst, and water was pouring in my son's bedroom!  From the ceiling, to the walls, to the carpet and everything between all was drenched.  With a sour face, i hand-washed a sink and dishwasher full of dirty dishes in a little bathroom sink. Then, i loaded four heaping baskets of clothes and bedding for the laundromat.
 

Ironically, the sermon just an hour earlier had been on JOYful worship. I definitely was not feeling any joy now. As i watched the clothes spin, i reflected on Frank saying the goodness of God is not always apparent.  In life it matters what we choose to see... the obstacles, the good, the problems, the grace.  I needed to choose to stop focusing on the inconvenience and unexpected expenses and on my blessings instead.

Blessings:
I do not have to go to the laundromat every week
I will get to use my dishwasher and kitchen sink again
We have insurance
We were at home when it happened
My home is not destroyed
What is damaged can be fixed
No one was hurt

And my biggest blessing of all, witnessing how God goes before us in all we do.  He gave me a needed Word Sunday morning before i ever knew i would need it.  Now that is something to sing about.  Thank You, Father!

have a JOY-filled day!
veneal

No comments:

Post a Comment