Tuesday, February 21, 2012

notes from my (almost) funeral

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts...Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom..." Colossians 3:15-16

If we knew what people would say when we died, i wonder if we would live differently.  My recent illness gave me a taste of what it might be like. I received delicious food, beautiful cards, phone calls and very special gifts.  Most people i knew well, then some barely at all.  One of the most surprising treats were letters from former PSS elementary students.  The folder was filled with wrinkled and beautifully decorated letters that had been crammed through the slits of a locker serving as a mailbox.  As i read them i laughed, smiled and cried.  The tears were from embarrassment, as well as, joy.  Shocked and ashamed, some of the well wishers were students i could not remember and some were ones i had found a bit irritating.  Yet, they had taken their time to offer me encouragement and love while I was healing.  They humbly blessed me in many ways.

We never know what impact we have on others.  People we count on, sometimes don't show up.  And people we just as soon forget, fill in the gaps of our needs. The former student letters are a priceless reminder to me on the impact we may have on others, when we least expect it. 

Lord, help me to stay consciously aware of the importance in keeping You in my heart in all that i do or say to all who cross my path today.   I don’t want to leave the wrong impression of You with anyone.

have a kind-filled day!

No comments:

Post a Comment