Monday, March 10, 2014

what we deserve

"Yet to all who receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God." John 1:12
Jesus said...
"I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life." John 6:47

As soon as i spotted it, i smelled trouble.  The pens, bookmarks, erasers and other gizmos in our Book Fair were intriguing, enticing, desirable.  I easily mistaken the Twirly Twist eraser for candy; i was not the only one. As we closed the Fair, i found an open wrapper behind the bookcase.  (S)he didn't get what (s)he wanted, but what (s)he deserved -- nothing.



I was glad the child left the eraser behind, and i hope they learned a lesson.  I couldn't help but be reminded of another child... me. As a child of God, how does He feel about my wrong doings? The times i speak sharply to another, lose my temper, selfishly hide the box of Girl Scout mint cookies, ignore the homeless man on the street, judge the looks or smells of another.

Clearly, God sees and catches me when i'm about my own business and not His.  Like the student, i too get what i deserve -- uneasiness, no peace, anxiety, emptiness. Due to my frailties and weaknesses, i deserve nothing good. BUT, God does not walk away.  

Because of His unconditional love, grace and mercy, He picks me up, cleans me off and loves me still.  God promises eternal life to all who believe in Him.  Not all who are perfect, not all who have it all together, not all who cross all their t's and dot their i's... but to all who believe in Him.

Thank You, Father, that my believing You is enough.

have a sweet-filled day!
veneal

No comments:

Post a Comment